Get Rid Of Sciatic Pain with These Incredible Yoga Poses
Do you get a burning sensation sometimes around your buttocks? A searing pain which travels down the back of your legs? If this is your case, well I am here to offer you good news. The answer is, Yoga!
You may think that staying sedentary is the best course of action. However, yoga instructors will tell you otherwise! Actually, moving your body slowly, gently and calmly may be one of the best ways to ease your pain. Before going ahead with the yoga poses I will show you, make sure you seek your doctor's advice first.
WHAT IS SCIATICA?
Sciatica is a term used to describe any irritation of the sciatic nerve. Basically, sciatica irritations can be traced to two different reasons. One is the Piriformis Syndrome (muscle related); the other is caused by the compression of the spine (bone related).
These are some yoga poses which can help you overcome sciatica:
- Lay down in a prone position on your belly.
- Then, reset your legs one at a time by internally rotating them so that your heels are facing up.
- Tuck your tailbone in and draw in your pubic bone toward the navel. This will probably lift your navel slightly off the ground.
- Lift your chest as you inhale and your legs as you exhale.
Cow Face Pose
- Begin in a tabletop position i.e. on all fours.
- Cross your right knee behind the left.
- Sit back between your heels. The hips may be elevated by sitting on top of a block.
- Inhale and lift your chest. As you exhale, work your hands into forward fold.
Bridge over Block Pose
- Lay on your back with your knees bent and your heels near your sit bones.
- Reach toward your heels and make sure you can touch or almost touch your knees.
- Lift your toes and root down through your heels and the balls of the feet.
- Energetically squeeze in around your midline to activate your inner thighs without actually moving your thighs.
- Take up to 10 breaths in this position.
Baby Cobra Pose
- Start by lying down on your belly.
- Reset your legs by lifting one at a time and rotate them internally with the toes in and heels out.
- Bring your hands forward of your shoulders, about 6-12 inches.
- Lengthen the spine by using your fingers to pull the heart forward.
- Hold this for 3-5 breaths and repeat three times.
Fire Hydrant Pose
- Start in a tabletop position.
- Draw your navel in strongly and reach your tailbone down toward your heels.
- Raise your right knee. Keep it bent and open the leg out to the side. The leg should be up to the height of your hip.
- Bring the tight knee back in toward the left knee, and then return it to the height of your hip. Repeat 8-10 times.
- Rest for some time.
- Do the same for the left leg.